Our Principles and Practice of Teaching
Canary Garden Bilingual Learning Centre is the first centre in Malaysia to offer an immersive English and Chinese education from ages 3 to 6.
We focus on STREAM Education -
Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Art and Mathematics
We teach the following subjects:
- English and Mandarin
- Science and Design Technology
- The Arts (Music, Art and Drama)
- We believe in pair, group work and independent learning.
- We believe that learning should be fun and provide children with real-life contexts.
- We believe that every child should feel challenged yet supported in each lesson.
- Staff should be aware of teaching different learning styles.
- We believe in talking through ideas, hence why Bilingual classrooms can be noisy!
- We firmly believe that there isn’t a Chinese or an English way of doing things; we take the best from both culture to create shared best practice. This means our children become open-minded and resilient learners.
- Sustained mastery
- A shift in teacher’s thinking - journey
- Trying to get it embedded as daily practice
- Can be used in any subject
Enrichment in our centre is what students do to look at subjects more in-depth or from different perspectives. Teachers encourage students to do further research into a subject by reading books or extra research from the internet.
There are opportunities for enrichment outside of the classroom. Students are encouraged to join in with societies or clubs which help broaden learning and help discover new passions. If you can contribute in any way that encourages your child to build up the depth of their knowledge, the better.
Enrichment is a way of making a subject more meaningful or enriching for a child. Here are some our examples of how this is achieved.
School trips to a museum, place of worship or historical monument of interest
Science days which focus on an area of the subject for a full practical investigation
Book weeks to encourage students to read certain, topical books of interest
Our qualified team of early educators relies on evidence-based Montessori philosophies to create a nurturing, child-centric environment where children aren’t pushed into timed expectations. We invite your child to learn at their own pace and build on natural inclination.
From birth to age 5, a child’s brain develops more than at any other time in life. We recognise that this window of time is crucial in boosting and supporting that growth through responsive caregiving and intentional discovery.