CG Family Events
- The Reading workshop, is an opportunity for parents of children in year 1 and older to hear about the reading scheme and learning practice that we follow in the school.
- Our Numeracy coordinator, will lead the Maths workshop for parents of children in Reception, Years 1 and 2. This workshop will cover the techniques and methods that we use to teach maths in the various year groups.
- Coffee hours are given on the planner and these will be run by our Principal. All parents are invited to come along and chat with Miss Sarah on various topics that she will introduce.
- This and next year presentations covering topics related to Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum will be as follows:-
- Enhancing Handwriting Skills
- Independence and Peace Education in the Spring term (January/February)
All parents of children in Pre school and Reception are welcome to come along and there will be two opportunities to attend each of the above, one in the morning and one in the evening, so please choose the option which suits you best.
- Parent-teacher meetings will be taking place at the end of the Autumn and Spring terms. There are separate evenings for different year groups and special subject teachers will be present, at one of these evenings, for each year group in reception and older.
- Annual Shows will be presented by children in pre-school, reception, year 1, year 2.
- In September, we will have the Reception and beyond presentation which is for parents of all children in pre school( 3 years old) due to move into reception in January 2023. We would like to stress the importance of this presentation and strongly recommend that all parents attend one or the other.
- In November we will have the Reception to Year 1 presentation which is for parents of all children in reception due to move into year 1 in January 2023. We would like to stress the importance of this presentation and strongly recommend that all parents attend one or the other.
- The Open mornings each term are for new parents interested in enrolling their child at the centre in the future. As we often have 80 to 90 visitors on those days we cannot, I am afraid, include parents of children already enrolled with us.
- Our Principal holds an evening presentation on Montessori teaching each year, giving information about the teaching method and philosophy. It is also a great opportunity for parents to work with the teaching materials.
- Sports days will take place towards the end of the summer term and please do look for the date of the event applicable for your child.
- As the International week has been such a success in the UK centres, we will be holding a similar event this and next year and all parents are welcome to visit.
- Our ‘Windows into the class’ events are wonderful opportunities to get a complete picture of the amount and the kind of work the children are doing. Often we hear the comment; “Oh I wish I had learned abstract topics in such a concrete, creative manner”! Families are invited to come and see the products of their child’s class, and are also very welcome to visit other age ranges! Each ‘Window into the class’ is different. It is also a great preparation for parents with children who will move to the next section, to see how and what children in the subsequent age ranges are working on.
- Mid-Autumn Festival Parade The children learn about the Mooncake tradition through stories and songs and make Chinese lanterns and biscuits at school. In the evening parents and children take part in a night parade during which children illuminate the dark with special lamps.
- Christmas market
The artisanal Christmas Market is held every year in November in Canary Garden, Our centre is then transformed into a Christmas den with many different ‘home-made’ goods for sale. New stallholders are always welcome. The proceeds go into the school’s charity account ‘Happy Children’ and some are donated to Charities.
The times of events, if not given on the planner, will be communicated via email. There will be also reminders of the dates once a term, when the Term Calendar is sent to you, but apart from that we may not send any further reminders. So please do make notes in your diary from the planner.
Every term, series of information evenings are prepared for families to learn more about child development at large, educational research, the integrated curriculum and theory behind classroom practice. Each location prepares evenings specific to the parents of their own classes and topics that are available to all.
Some example of the different topics:
- The eight Intelligences
- Character Development and the Learner Profile
- IB Diploma Programme: Subjects and Assessment
- Freedoms and logical limits serve the development of the child
- Curriculum adapted to your child’s learning style
- Introducing the world to the child – humanities
- The integrated curriculum
- Language acquisition of first and second languages
- The hand s form the brain
- Importance of the first six years of life
- Much more!